Friday, October 22, 2004

David vs. Goliath

Now that the St. Louis Cardinals have clinched the National League pennant, the World Series is set to begin between David and Goliath, a.k.a. the Boston Red Sox vs. the St. Louis Cardinals. Personally, I would have guessed before the playoffs began that it would be the teams with the two best records in baseball (the Cardinals and the New York Yankees, respectively), that would have made it to the Series. Instead, we were treated last night to history being made as the Sox became the only team in baseball history to come back from a 3-0 deficit in a best-of-seven series to win the series. It seems fitting that the Series this year will feature the team with the best record in baseball against the team that has shown more grit and determination than any other during the playoffs.

I have to confess that there was part of me that was rooting for the Red Sox to lose, particularly when I saw this quote from John Kerry:

We’ve been waiting since 1918 for the Boston Red Sox to win the World Series, and . . . if I had a choice between the White House and the World Series this year, I’m going to take the White House. How's that?"--John Kerry, 08/2004

Hat tip: Football Fans for Truth

I was ready for four straight days to post on how Kerry had managed to place yet another curse on the Sox. But it was not to be. As a baseball purist, I'm actually glad that the Red Sox won. I don't put much stock in curses anyway (even though I am a Cubs fan).

Just because no team had managed to come back from a 3-0 deficit doesn't mean that it couldn't happen. I can't think of a better team to accomplish this feat or a better time for it to happen.


No comments: