Friday, October 09, 2020

Weekend Links 10-9-20

Hard to believe that we are already into the second week in October. Where has this year gone? 

Here are a few links of interest for your weekend reading:

Secrets of strong writing from the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. There's a lot of great advice in this article. 

The Art Institute of Chicago is one of the finest art museums anywhere. It's also the place to go if you want to see the works of Claude Monet. 

I've always been curious about this even though I don't own a dog: why do dogs bury things? 

Longread of the week: how to misread Jane Austen.  I'll be honest and admit I have only read one of her books which was Pride and Prejudice. I had to read it for a college literature class. I have seen adaptations of almost all of her novels so I am at least somewhat familiar with the canon. But I think that many people want her works to say what they want them to say rather than reading them at face value. 

Craig Johnson, creator of the Longmire novels, researches the mystery of an American painting that could once be found in most watering holes across the country that has since totally disappeared. 

Found: tapes from a 1962 Ella Fitzgerald concert in Berlin. I have been listening to this performance and it is every bit as wonderful as you would expect one of her concerts to be. 

I don't endorse cheating. However, this was a fun thought experiment. How the 1919 Chicago White Sox could have thrown the World Series and gotten away with it. 


No comments: