Friday, April 23, 2021

Weekend Links 4-23-21

Your weekly roundup of interesting reading. Hope you enjoy reading these articles as much as I enjoyed finding them.

The Oscars are this weekend. The folks over at Cine-Pop were kind enough to ask me to cast my votes for who I thought would win. Here is a compilation of the votes and comments from all their writers.  I will be completely honest and tell you I haven't seen any of the nominated films yet though Minari is on my watch list. I cast my votes solely based on what I had heard about each film. I suspect I will be nowhere close to picking the actual winners. 

Speaking of movies, check out this story about how one studio got in trouble for employing a fake film critic. Can you really trust the blurbs in movie ads?

Potterheads rejoice! Harry Potter New York is scheduled to open this summer. 

How Arthur Conan Doyle and Oscar Wilde are connected. 

I don't have an opinion on this (as I have never tried it) but I at least appreciate this writers heartfelt love for McDonald's Filet-O-Fish sandwich.

The story behind the lyrics of "Smelly Cat" from Friends. I was surprised to learn the song originally wasn't about a cat.  

Roget is best remembered for his thesaurus. Perhaps less well known is the fact that earlier in his life he had to flee from Napoleon. 

The earliest appearances of Hercule Poirot on radio and television. A book excerpt from Agatha Christie's Poirot: The Greatest Detective in the World by Mark Aldridge.

No comments: