Monday, December 31, 2018

What I Read in 2018

At the beginning of this year, I had a simple goal to read more books. I figured that if I could read a book a week I could easily read 52 this year. As of right now I am on book 59 which doesn't sound like a whole lot but is at least a step in the right direction. My hope is continue to increase the number of books that I read but also to diversify the types of books that I read. Below are a few of the highlights of the books I read this year.

Most Important Book I Read This Year: On Reading Well: Finding the Good Life Through Reading Great Books by Karen Swallow Prior
The other day my daughters caught up with a friend of theirs who also happens to be a fellow bibliophile. She posed the question "What's the most important book you read this year?" On Reading Well easily wins the prize in the books I read this year. I've always shied away from the so-called "classics" but Prior's book inspired me to dig more into classic literature in the coming year. Prior does an excellent job of showing how both virtue and vice are demonstrated through the stories she highlights. This is a book I imagine I will find myself coming back to as I read through the novels that are selected. There's no question that fiction should be a key part of every Christian's reading list and Prior makes the point very clearly in On Reading Well. (Honorable mention: Fierce Convictions: The Extraordinary Life of Hannah More: Poet, Reformer, Abolitionist by Karen Swallow Prior)

Favorite New Historian: Candice Millard
Last Christmas, my wife bought me Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine, and the Murder of a President. It had me hooked from the first page and I could not put it down. It reads more as a murder mystery thriller than non-fiction book. I enjoyed Ms. Millard's writing so much that I then picked up Hero of the Empire: The Boer War, a Daring Escape, and the Making of Winston Churchill and found it equally enjoyable. If you are looking for a writer whose non-fiction work reads more like a thriller novel then Ms. Millard is for you.

Favorite Non-Fiction title, History
This year marks the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 8 mission was the first attempt to send a manned spacecraft in orbit around the Moon. While the mission's achievements are well known the tireless work in turning that mission into a success is lesser known. Thanks to Robert Kurson's Rocket Men: The Daring Odyssey of Apollo 8 and the Astronauts Who Made Man's First Journey to the Moon we have a very detailed but thoroughly readable account of the men involved in this daring mission into space. Given the tumultuous year that was 1968 the Apollo 8 triumph was the redemption of a very dark year in American history.

Book that I had the hardest time putting down
Without a doubt that would be Brad Meltzer's The Escape Artist (my review of the book can be found here). Meltzer is a master at writing thriller novels and The Escape Artist is one of his best yet. He's one of my favorite authors and I thoroughly enjoy reading everything he writes. His new book (due out in a couple of weeks) will be his first foray into non-fiction with the account of the plot to assassinate George Washington. Should be a very interesting read. 

My favorite Agatha Christie novel of the year would have to be The Mysterious Affair at Styles. I read a total of nine of Christie's novels this year which is more than any other author. The thing that I love about Styles is that even though it is the first of the Hercule Poirot novels Christie already has a clear idea of what her Belgian detective is like as a character. I have read others of her books that I like as much or more but this definitely stands out as one of her better books.

My new favorite mystery writer: Anthony Horowitz.
I was far more familiar with Horowitz's writing for television with programs such as Foyle's War,  Agatha Christie's Poirot, Midsomer Murders, Collison, and New Blood on his resume. But this year I discovered his novels and quickly became a fan. Two that I would particularly recommend are Magpie Murders (my review is here) and Forever and a Day. 

No comments: