Tuesday, January 21, 2020

How to Read More Books

It's always a challenge to read more books. Even though you might realize there are plenty of benefits to reading regularly it can be difficult to develop a habit of reading. Here are a list of tips (in no particular order) that can help you develop a habit of reading:

Make time to read. In this age of Netflix, smartphones, and other similar digital enteratinment it has become easier to entertain ourselves by things other than books. One of the first steps to developing a habit of reading is to make time for it. For example, as part of my daily routine I have time set aside for reading before I start my work day. I spend a few minutes reading the Bible and then a few minutes reading part of a book. The books either coincide with my devotions or may be connected to my work. Either way, I am setting aside time before I get immersed in my job to make time for reading. Apart from the benefits I gain from what I am reading it also helps put me in a peaceful frame of mind before the chaos of the work day unfolds.

When I travel, I always carry books with me. If my travel involves flights I use all of my down time both in the aiports and on planes as opportunities to read.

There are other options too. If you are waiting at a doctor's appointment that's another time to read. If you have a commute on a train it's another chance to read. Or if you have a long commute to work you can listen to audiobooks.

Set goals. This may seem a little counter intuitive especially for someone who recently stated they aren't setting numeric goals but just hear me out.  In the beginning when you are getting into the habit of reading more books a numeric goal is not such a bad idea. However, I encourage you to go beyond simple numeric goals into other types of broader goals. For example, this year in addition to my numeric goal that I set on my Goodreads account, I am going to try to be intentional in some of my other reading goals. Some examples of these types of goals include:

  • Reading an author you've never read before
  • Reading literary fiction (a.k.a. classics)
  • Books from a specific genre (for me it is self-improvement books that dovetail into my work life
  • Reading from a genre you wouldn't normally select (for me it will be science fiction)


These are but a few examples but the possibilities are endless if you think in terms other than just numeric goals.

Decide what you like or are interested in. There are books on literally every subject so it shouldn't be hard to find something that is of interest. In addition, the internet makes researching potential books to read very easy.

Start small. If you are just getting started on a reading habit it's probably counter productive to pick up a book the length of War and Peace. Instead start with something shorter that won't take such a huge time commitment to finish. You will find once you have a book or two under your belt it's much easier to keep going.

Don't be afraid to give up on a book you don't enjoy. Life is to short to be spent on books you don't enjoy. There is nothing wrong with deciding that a book is not enjoyable to you. If after forty or fifty pages you aren't enthralled with the book you should consider whether you should abandon it and move on to another. This is one of the most freeing things I have come to understand about reading. I've given up on a number of books that I didn't enjoy. Some of those were even by authors whose other works I really liked. In the end it's better to give up on a book if it is not working for you and move on to something else.

Read more than one book at once. I used to think I could only focus on one book at a time. But as I came to understand that different things I am reading serve different purposes it has become easire to read multiple books simultaneously. Also, since I understand that different books serve different purposes and therefore are going to be read at different times in my day it has become easier to have more than one book I am reading at a time.

Sign up for Goodreads. Goodreads is the social media account for readers. But it is much more than that. It is the perfect place to track what you read. It's also a place for setting your numeric reading goals (if you have them). But perhaps its greatest strength is in its recommendations. The more books that you record that you have read there the better it becomes at recommending other books to you. It also has a handy place for you to make a list of books you want to read. There's also an extensive database of ratings and reviews that will help you make choices about what to read.

Buy books. This may seem somewhat obvious but in otder to develop a healthly reading habit it helps to have books on hand that you want to read. Books can be expensive so I recommend going to used books stores. When I travel I have several of my favorite stores that I visit where I know I can trade books I no longer want to keep for books that I want to read. I have a large stack of books waiting to be read so I don't have to be paralyzed by deciding what to read next. Alternatively if you are on a budget visiting your local library is a great free option. Also, librarians can help you find good books to read and can make recommendations based on your interests.

Don't be afraid to go digital. Personally, I prefer physical books for most of my reading. However, I have occasionally dabbled in audiobooks especially on long car trips. I also have the Amazon Kindle app on my phone and sometimes can get better deals on digital versions of books than physical ones. The key is to figure out what formats work best for you.

Get recommendations. Books are a great topic of conversation with friends and family Find out what they have enjoyed. That might lead to something that you want to read. Social media has also made it easier to get recommendations. For example, a couple of the podcasts I listen to periodically feature interviews with authors. Hearing an author talk about his or her book has often led me to want to read it. All of you have to do is be willing to ask. Readers enjoy talking to other readers about books.

My hope is that these tips will help you develop a habit of reading. It is one of the best things that you can do for yourself.

No comments: