Friday, April 24, 2020

Weekend Links 4-24-20

Back again with another roundup of interesting links. Unfortunately not as many items of interest as I would like. It's either because there isn't much of interest out there or that I am not spending as much time on line as I used to searching for stuff. It's probably more the latter as I continue to try to consciously avoid reading the news because it's depressing.

There's no doubt the coronavirus pandemic will be disruptive to many business sectors. I didn't realize that so many processes in the grocery industry were so manual until I ran across this article. I will say that I had first heard of and used Instacart several months ago as a way to save time. But I didn't realize what an essential part of life it would become.

The origins of baseball are a bit fuzzy and certainly debatable. For the record, Abner Doubleday definitely did not invent the game. However, it is clear that its popularity grew out of a need for exercise in light of pandemics in the late 19th century. By the way, this looks like it will be a fascinating book.

This week marked the 70th anniversary of Vin Scully's debut as the voice of the Dodgers. Here's a look back at the beginnings of his storied career.

An appreciation of Simon and Garfunkel. I used to listen to them a lot and need to go back and revisit their music.

A history of the iconic McDonalds Happy Meal. It's far more controversial than you might think.

Recommended historical non-fiction to read during the quarantine. I have only read the last two books on the list and thoroughly enjoyed both. Also, Erik Larson is one of my favorite authors. I've been looking forward to reading his latest book too.

Add Ikea to the list of companies that is publishing its popular recipes. Now if we could get the recipe for their cinnamon rolls....

Have a great weekend.

No comments: