Friday, October 02, 2020

Weekend Links 10-2-20

Hard to believe it is already October. This year continues to fly by. Here are a few links of interest for your weekend reading.

I don't read the news too much because it's mostly depressing. But this post from Gracy Olmstead on reading the news in dark times really struck a nerve. You can also sign up for her monthly newsletter at the link. I highly recommend it. 

When I was a kid I wanted to be an astronaut when I grew up. In fact that was my plan until I grew too tall to be a test pilot. Anyway here are some interesting facts about astronauts. Related: what it's like to live and work on the International Space Station. 

The Society for American Baseball Research debunks eight myths about the Black Sox scandal popularized in Eliot Asinof's book Eight Men Out and the film of the same name. 

Found: a rare edition of William Shakespeare's last play. 

Also believed to be found: the Amber Room which was once part of a tsarist palace and was looted by the Nazis during World War II. 

Answering the important questions: why do milk jugs have those inverted circles?

Weird history: the unsuccessful plot during World War II to fight the Japanese with radioactive foxes. 

Remembering mystery writer Jacques Futrelle who sadly is probably best known for perishing on the Titanic. 

This is something I hadn't considered: how the U. S. Postal Service selects literary stamps

I had one of these as a kid and probably many more people did too. A brief history of the Wooly Willy. 

This is another article that really struck a chord with me. Things I did that my kids never will. 

No comments: