Friday, April 30, 2021

Weekend Links 4-30-21

 Hard to believe we are already at the end of April. Where has this year gone? Hopefully you have some fun plans for the weekend that include reading the articles below. 

In 1888 baseball was still a relatively new pastime. But that didn't stop Albert Goodwill Spalding (later founder of the successful sporting goods company) from taking his Chicago White Stockings team on a worldwide barnstorming tour that would include among other stops playing baseball at the foot of the Sphinx. 

Food served to astronauts has come a long way since the early days of space travel. I am surprised to learn that astronauts have never eaten astronaut ice cream in space. I feel so lied to. Special thanks to my daughter Katie for this tip. 

Fish sticks were a regular feature on Fridays in the school cafeteria when I was a kid. Here's the surprising history of their success. 

Is Citizen Kane the best movie of all time? It's certainly one of the best I have ever seen and one that anyone who is serious about studying film should watch. 

There was a time I wouldn't dream of eating a steak without a little A. 1. Sauce. Little did I know that originally it was created for a king. 

Book review: why Hercule Poirot is the greatest fictional detective in the world. 

Caroline Crampton, hostess of one of my favorite podcasts Shedunnit, explores the world of Honkaku - the fiendishly clever world of the Japanese whodunnit.

Long read of the week: a father, a daughter, and K-pop

No comments: