Friday, March 05, 2021

Weekend Links 3-5-21

 A  year ago at this time I was sitting in the airport in New Orleans enjoying coffee and beignets from Cafe Du Monde (a must visit if you are ever in the city). I was on my way home from a business trip and had far too much time on my hands. Time moves slowly in lots of places but never as slowly as in an airport when waiting on a flight. Coronavirus was just starting to make news. Little did we know that a week later we would be in complete lockdown. Hopefully now with the rollout of vaccines life begins to return to normal or at least more like what it was like pre-lockdown. In the meantime here are some links of interest for your weekend reading.

Celebrating the 75th anniversary of one of the best cartoons ever made: Baseball Bugs.

An inside look in the competitive world of growing giant vegetables.

I honestly did not know that Tetris had its origins in the Soviet Union. Here's how the video game conquered the world. 

The reboot of All Creatures Great and Small was a huge success on PBS. But who was James Herriot the man who created the unforgettable stories?

You never know what you will find at a yard sale. A porcelain bowl purchased for $35 is actually worth a fortune. 

Arguably one of the best things about the Netflix series The Umbrella Academy is the soundtrack. Here are some fun facts about how it came together. I was particularly surprised to learn that scenes were written to fit the songs rather than having the songs selected to fit a particular scene. 

Podcast of the week: I thoroughly enjoyed this episode of How I Found My Voice with Anthony Horowitz. In the interview he discusses why he is a fan of Golden Age detective fiction, how he became a writer, the misery of being at prep school, and more. I especially appreciated the shout out for New Blood which is one of my favorite TV shows that unfortunately left the air far too soon. Thankfully you can still stream it on BritBox. 

No comments: