Friday, October 01, 2021

Weekend Links 10-1-21

 We are back after an unexpected week off. I had every intention of posting last week but stories were a little scarce. It honestly would not have been much of a post. So I saved everything and then waited to include it in a more robust post this week. I hope you enjoy!

If you are of a certain age like me you recall fondly The Muppet Show. For those not familiar with the show, it was a weekly variety show that would feature a wide range of guest stars alongside Muppet performers. If you have Disney Plus you can check it out there. Here are nine iconic guest appearances from the show (video clips included). 

In 1915, two of P. G. Wodehouse's most beloved characters, Jeeves and Wooster, made their first appearance in print. You can read their debut story here and more about that first tale here.  Here's the opening to the story which in and of itself proves that Wodehouse was a master wordsmith:

She sprang it on me before breakfast. There in seven words you have a complete character sketch of my Aunt Agatha. I could go on indefinitely about brutality and lack of consideration. I merely say that she routed me out of bed to listen to her painful story somewhere in the small hours. It can't have been half past eleven when Jeeves, my man, woke me out of the dreamless and broke the news:

'Mrs Gregson to see you, sir.'

I thought she must be walking in her sleep, but I crawled out of bed and got into a dressing-gown. I knew Aunt Agatha well enough to know that, if she had come to see me, she was going to see me. That's the sort of woman she is.


This is welcome news: The Mysterious Benedict Society will return for season two. 

I am a frequent reader of CrimeReads and among their many writers one of my favorites is Olivia Rutigliano. Here are two terrific essays of hers for your reading pleasure. First, an appreciation of the all too short lived mystery series Pushing Daisies. Second, in honor of the premiere of the latest James Bond film No Time to Die, she ranks all of the previous Bond movies. 

One of the things the Bond films are known for are their exotic locations and No Time to Die is no different. Here's a look at some of the amazing places they have filmed over the years

When it comes to standup comedy, few people are funnier than Jim Gaffigan. In this interview he discusses faith, family, and his career. 

It has been 100 years since Alfred Hitchcock first entered the film industry but his impact on popular culture is still felt to this day. 

Calvin and Hobbes is one of the greatest (and funniest) comic strips of all times. It is also chock full of literary references. 

The best Agatha Christie books according to Goodreads ratings. 

Ever dream of living like a king or queen? Here are ten actual palaces that you can stay in.

No comments: