Friday, October 29, 2021

Weekend Links 10-29-21

 Happy Halloween weekend! Hope your weekend is filled with treats. Here is an abundance of fun stories for your weekend reading. Personally, my weekend will likely be taken up with episodes of This is a Robbery: The World's Biggest Art Heist on Netflix. I am watching the first episode as I am writing this post and it is a gripping documentary.

While we are on the subject of art, this is a fascinating story: while a  painting was sent out for routine maintenance another complete painting by the same artist was found underneath.

Want to get away? Check out these stunning airport landings. It's quite an amazing photo gallery. 

I'm not really sure that this was something I needed to know existed and so far I haven't watched it but I am mildly curious: a parody of Bohemian Rhapsody done by cats. 

The World Series started earlier this week. While I am not watching since I don't have a rooting interest in either team I have in past years listened to the Series on the radio. It's been a hundred years since the first radio broadcast of baseball and it still remains the best sport to listen to on the radio. 

The lasting legacy of Shirley Jackson's fiction. Related: where to start with Shirley Jackson's books. 

The influence of The War of the Worlds and its infamous radio broadcast.

I can think of easier and healthier ways to save money: man goes to Six Flags every day just for the food. He really does save money, too. 

Series 2 of Alex Rider premieres on IMDBtv on December 3rd and it looks like it will be spectacular

A company that makes immersive crime fiction role playing games has a new game honoring Agatha Christie.

I'm always interested to know what authors like to read. Here are Jeffrey Archer's five favorite mystery novels.

The Detection Club was founded by a group of British Mystery writers in the early 1930s. In the early days they embraced the concept of "fair play" meaning that all the information should be available to the reader to be able to solve the crime. But the Detection Club faced a crisis in the mid 20th century when debates grew among members whether "fair play" was no longer needed. 

Otto Penzler shares how he made money out of mysteries. Also from Otto Penzler: how mysteries were born in the Victorian Era. 

No comments: