Thursday, October 24, 2013

Daily Links 10-24-13

Duck Dynasty is a biblical sex-saturated reality show, why you should keep a journal, finding libraries in unusual places, and more in today's roundup of links.

*****************

Duck Dynasty is one of the most popular reality shows on television. Part of its appeal is the fact that it shows the Robertson clan as the real down home folks that they are. It's a show that is steeped in family values. It also is a biblically sex-saturated show. That's a good thing.

*****************

Seven reasons for keeping a journal. (Hat tip: Challies)

*****************

Finding libraries in unusual places (even on the back of a donkey!)

*****************

Stories like this one make me feel old: 10 things that are disappearing from elementary schools.

*****************

I definitely need this: how to quit wasting time on the internet.

*****************

I don't need encouragement to read more books but this doesn't hurt either: 7 unconventional reasons you should read more books. (Hat tip: Trevin Wax)

*****************

One father shares about removing his children from the internet. (Hat tip: Challies)

*****************

It's time to emphasize winning with our kids and sports:

My son will play in soccer tournaments today. And I want him to win
I feel like I’m going against the tidal wave of parental niceness to even say such a thing, but it’s true. During this game, I don’t want him to just have fun or play safely. I want his team to win.
And I hope every dad cheering from the sidelines for the other team feels the same way.
I believe we should resist the fashionable tendency to take competition out of sports. 
That’s why, at the beginning of the soccer season, I asked my son: ”What’s more important? Having fun or winning?" He answered: “Having fun?”   
No,” I replied. “Winning. Because if you’re not winning, you’re not having fun.”
What do they teach children in school these days?
******************

Calling all writers: 41 redundancies you should ditch.

No comments: