Friday, July 31, 2020

Weekend Links 7-31-20

It's hard to believe we have already reached the end of July. I tend to think like a lot of other people I talk to that the sooner we can get 2020 behind us the better. In the meantime, here are a few links of interest for your weekend enjoyment.

I'm not into comic books much these days but I still found this history of the comic book fascinating. 

There is a sculpture at CIA headquarters in Langley that contains a code no one has been able to crack

Longread of the week: Why is Bob Ross still so popular? It's been 25 years since he passed away yet The Art of Painting is more popular than ever. His calm demeanor and relentless positivity seem to be a soothing balm for our troubled world. 

A list of recommended books for baseball fans. I have read most of these books. I would consider this a great place to start if you've never picked up any baseball books. Thanks to my sister-in-law for the tip.

Artist Mark Truelove shares an amazing gallery of colorized baseball photos from the early 20th century.  

What happens to all the baseballs being hit into empty stands? Zack Hample was unavailable for comment. 

The Blob has to be one of the campiest movies I have ever seen. But is the sci-fi classic based on a real life event? 

There are good reasons to be leery of adaptations of your favorite books. While there are some adaptations that are relatively faithful to the original books I can't think of an adaptation that I have been wholly pleased with. 

Some tips on how to start a long-running mystery series. It's harder than you think. 

No comments: