Wednesday, December 29, 2004

What I'll Be Reading in 2005

Since the week between Christmas and New Year's is a time most people start looking ahead to the new year and make plans or resolutions I thought it would be a good time to sit down and figure out what books I'd try to tackle in 2005. I've already started reading The Lasko Interview by Clay Jacobsen which I received as a Christmas gift. I had enjoyed his two other books, Circle of Seven and Interview with the Devil immensely. Here's my short list of books that I'll be reading in the new year:

1. Blog: Understanding the Information Reformation That's Changing Your World by Hugh Hewitt. If anyone understands how the blogosphere works and the potential it holds, that person is Hugh Hewitt. He has inspired a number of other bloggers to get started (including yours truly). He also understands that the mainstream (or legacy) media can no longer be trusted. The blogosphere is becoming a source of news and information for more people. The potential of the blogosphere has barely been tapped. Hugh Hewitt shows how the blogosphere can be used. For more reviews of the book, see Stolen Thunder, Evangelical Outpost, Stones Cry Out, Byrd Droppings and Instapundit.

2. Our Sacred Honor: "The Stories, Letters, Songs, Poems, Speeches, and Hymns that Gave Birth to Our Nation" by William J. Bennett. Being something of a history buff, this book is of particular interest to me. After reading David Barton's Original Intent: The Courts, The Constitution and Religion earlier this year, I had a much better understanding of just how important the Founding Fathers' faith was to the birth of our country. Whether we want to admit it or not, we are a nation founded by Christians and built on Christian principles. Reading the writings of the Founding Fathers helps us understand that better than anything else.

3. The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis. I've been reading these books aloud to my daughters. They enjoyed the first two volumes, The Magician's Nephew and The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe immensely. My hope is that we can read the remaining five books together this year. These are some the best books available to read to your children.

4. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J. R. R. Tolkein. This is a set of books I've been meaning to read for a long time. Since Hugh Hewitt and so many other bloggers cited these as great novels they would read more than once I figure it's high time I read them as well.

5. Never Give In: The Extraordinary Character of Winston Churchill by Stephen Mansfield. I thoroughly enjoyed Mansfield's most recent book, The Faith of George W. Bush. I've always been curious about Winston Churchill but never seemed to find the right biography to start with to learn more about him. I believe this might be as good a place as any to start.

I welcome any other suggestions that folks have for great books to read in 2005.

No comments: