Saturday, October 30, 2004

Character Counts, Part Two

This post from Lorie Byrd (who is a contributor over at Polipundit as well as her own blog) features a heartwarming story that provides insight into the character of our President. Then there's this story about the President comforting the daughter of a 9/11 victim. There's also this story about the President going on a jog with a soldier who lost a leg in Afgahnistan. Or this story about the injured soldier he saluted in the hospital.

This is an aspect of the President's character that is not often reported in the media because he does not draw attention to it himself.

On a more personal note, I had the opportunity to see a glimpse into our President's character thanks to our oldest daughter.

She just turned 9. All throughout this campaign cycle she has become very interested in the election. She's watched every single one of the debates. She watched the Republican convention with us. She's been very engaged in what's happening in this election.

Earlier in the summer, she asked me if she could write a letter to the President. She wanted to let him know how much she admired him and that she was praying for him. I said that would be fine. I was amazed that our daughter, on her own initiative, thought to write a letter of encouragement to the President.

I never imagined that she would get any type of response from the President. I suspect he is bombarded with cards, letters, and e-mail and it's simply not possible for him to respond. I also suspect that the amount of mail he receives is more than his staff could possibly keep up with. So I mailed her letter for her without any expectation of hearing anything about it again.

About a month later, a manila envelope arrived in our mailbox. The return address was The White House, Washington, D. C. I immediately knew that she had received a response. The President said he was honored to have the responsibility of serving as President. He encouraged her to become a good citizen, to study hard, make the right choices, and help others. By setting high standards, he said, you can achieve your dreams. Included was a picture of the President and the First Lady.

Cynics will say this was a mass produced letter. Cynics will say this didn't really come from the President. As I said, I don't know whether he actually saw my daughter's letter. However, I do know that his staff did not have to respond to my daughter's letter. I would be willing to bet that the letter she received is a result of the direction that the President has given to his staff.

The bottom line: Our President is a man of honor, who has a gentle heart and is full of compassion. This is the type of person I am proud to have as my President and that I can hold up to my children as someone to be admired. For this reason, I am proudly casting my vote to re-elect President Bush on November 2nd.

If after reading this you're still not convinced that President Bush is the right man to continue to lead our country, then read this article on five questions you should ask before casting your vote written by another successful leader.

No comments: