Friday, November 15, 2013

Daily Links 11-15-13

Links for your weekend reading: Unrequited love redeemed, the schedule makers, tea inspired by books, the best careers are not planned, and more.

**************

An essay on unrequited love redeemed. Now that's how to do the proposal.

**************

Putting together Major League Baseball's regular season schedule is no easy task. 30 teams, 162 games apiece. It's a logistical nightmare. The amazing thing is that for more than a quarter century the task has been completed by a husband and wife team using no more than a pencil and paper. Their story is featured here.

**************

Nothing accompanies a good book as well as a hot beverage. If you're a tea drinker and love books you will want to check out this line of teas inspired by classic literature.


***************

The best careers are not planned (Hat tip: Glenn Reynolds):

I was having a discussion with a friend recently about career planning. I told him that I had received some advice about my career plan. I had been told that I need a more defined career plan and need to control where my career is going. Some of the advice was solid. For instance, I was told that I need to identify my weaknesses and find ways to improve them or get the experience required for my dream job. True. But I was also told that I need to work out the details right down to choosing a region and finding organizations in that region for networking. That seemed a bit intense to me. I was assured that I could apply my own personal metrics and essentially control my career path. 
My friend asked me how old the person offering the advice is and I gave the age. My friend grinned and said, "Oh, well that is young enough to think he can control those things." 
I love that answer. 
I love it because we are all told to plan and try to control every aspect of our lives to win the prize of career, money or other desired goal. The problem is that our ability to control really stops at the end of our fingertips. We can only control ourselves (and in some instances that is complicated and difficult).

This article really resonates with me because my current career is not at all what I had planned coming out of college. A lot of folks I have talked to have had the same experience. Rarely do we end up pursuing as a career what we think we will.

**************

Aaron Armstrong continues his series on improving your bible study with a helpful list of technological aids.

**************

Dr. Timothy George offers his perspective in the debate over Strange Fire.

No comments: