Monday, November 22, 2004

Enjoying Fellowship with God

I have a friend who is a Captain in the Naval Reserves. He's currently on a short-term mission trip with Mercy Ships. He regularly sends us e-mail updates on what's happening on the ship. This passage from a recent e-mail caught my attention:

On the Ship- Work continues in No.2 Hatch as the Tween Deck, steel plate is removed and new plate installed. Personally, I spent the week working on the Lifeboats (between rain squalls). As I sat splicing rope and singing to myself, I realized something. That God was really giving me the opportunity to enjoy Him. I know some would say that my talents and gifts are not being fully used as the Third Officer, but as I see the young Dutch Chief Mate running all over the ship, I was glad that it was her and not me, As most of you know, one of my goals for this trip is to hear from God. And if I was the Chief Mate, I would be too busy to hear.

As I splice rope, I have the opportunity to really enjoy fellowship with God. Splicing, like many things that God gives us to do as our job/ profession can either be done quickly with many short-cuts or be done in a proper and correct manner, that requires more time, and perhaps less concentration. God impressed upon me to take the time and do it right and allow him into my work. Last night teaching at our Community Meeting, the Lord brought it home again concerning fellowship with Him. It was on "Simple Faith".

Simple Faith from Mark 12:29-31 Hear God, Love God, Love the people God places in our path and to love ourselves because God loves us. Many time I know that we make life so complicated, that we no longer have time for the things that truly matters...God, Spouse, Family, Friends, Co-Workers and ourselves... instead we involve ourselves in total distraction our work, play or relaxation.


This e-mail reminded Mommypundit of Brother Lawrence, the seventeenth-century monk who is perhaps best known for the book Practicing the Presence of God. Although I had heard of him, I had never taken the time to read his writings. While reading about him, I ran across this quote which I found particularly challenging:

"I walk before God simply, in faith, with humility and with love; and I apply myself diligently to do nothing and think nothing which may displease Him."

Pastor Mark Roberts expands on this further in a sermon he has just posted on his blog. (Hat tip: Sidesspot)

No comments: