Tuesday, November 30, 2004

The Best Children's Books

Inspired by Hugh Hewitt's request yesterday for the best novels to read over again, Sistersophist has started a thread on the best children's books. She is updating it frequently (by genre, no less) so be sure to check back often.

Her post got me thinking about some of my personal favorite books for children. From the beginning, Mommypundit and I have made it a practice to read aloud to our daughters. It's a great way to have quality family time together. Our daughters really get into the books and love to talk about what's going to happen next.

We're about to start "The Horse and His Boy", the third installment in the Chronciles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis. Lewis is one of my favorite writers to begin with. The Narnia books are by far some of his most enjoyable books. We've already read "The Magician's Nephew" and "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" (which I had read a couple of times before I had kids).

I also love Dr. Seuss. Just about anything he wrote is worth sharing with children. Of course, some of his books can be a little challenging to read out loud (he had a wonderful way with language). But that makes it all the more fun.

Another favorite in our household is the Winnie the Pooh books by A. A. Milne. They are sweet and funny and worth reading over and over again.

But my favorite children's book of all time is one that I was introduced to by a college friend long before I dreamed of having children of my own: The Selfish Giant by Oscar Wilde. I can't read it all the way through without tearing up at the end. It is a truly wonderful book.


No comments: