Friday, January 21, 2005

Friday Quick Takes

Adrian Warnock continues the discussion started by Joe Carter at Evangelical Outpost (which I referenced in this post) on building a Christian Blogging Community.

*******************

Just how biased is the media? Arthur Chrenkoff tries to answer this question in the context of coverage of the war in Iraq. The statistics are pretty shocking. (Hat tip: Mudville Gazette)

*******************

Speaking of media bias, I attempted to watch the Inauguration coverage yesterday on the "Big Three" networks. Boy, do I miss having Fox News. I can only imagine how much worse it would have been to watch if John Kerry had won the election.

*******************

Hugh Hewitt offered an Open Memo to Les Moonves in his column for the Weekly Standard. Although it's great advice, I doubt seriously that anyone at CBS is going to listen.

*******************

Rusty at New Covenant has an intriguing post entitled "Evangelical Capitalism: How the “bottom-line” determines our action…". He makes some good points on how we measure the "success" of a church. As a church leader, I can confess to falling into the trap of worrying about growing the number of people coming to our church as opposed to deeping their relationship with Christ.

*******************
The results of this week's Christian Carnival are up at Sidesspot. There's a great variety of responses that are well worth reading.

*******************

Tod Bolsinger has been blogging this week on how the church can do a better job of reaching non-believers. In his post entitled "More Caught Than Taught", Tod suggests that "the best way for someone to become both a belonger and a believer is by first belonging to a community of believers. (Spiritually committed believers.)" I can honestly say that much of my growth as a Christian has come as a result of what I have seen in other committed believers. As a parent, I see the importance of this principle in how I instruct my daughters. It's important that I not only tell them what's right but show it to them as well. They'll learn much more from me from what they "catch" rather than what I "teach". That doesn't mean I don't teach them also, but that I make sure that my actions reflect the values that I am trying to teach them.

No comments: