Monday, March 07, 2005

My Interview with The Anchoress

Throughout this whole thread of interviews that have been taking place here and elsewhere it has been interesting to get to know other bloggers and find out a little more about them. One of the bloggers I have come to respect over the last couple of months is The Anchoress. I'm flattered that she would take the time to interview me. Here are her questions to me and they are some of the most thought-provoking questions I have been asked so far:

In your bio you allude to your calling as "father."
1) The idea of parenthood as a vocation is one that is unfamiliar to many people. How would you put describe the calling to the vocation of parenthood, and how did you first come to recognise it?


The idea of becoming a parent was one that my wife and I were discussing before we were married. We both recognized that God was placing a desire in our hearts for a family at some point after we got married. We were blessed to have wise counsel around us to help us as we were praying over the decision to start a family.

God has really impressed upon me that I have a responsibility not just to raise good children but that I have a responsibility to raise godly children. God continues to show me what I need to do to raise my children as He wants me to.

2) What is your favorite quote from scripture, and why?

My favorite verse has to be Philippians 4:13:

"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."

God is constantly reaffirming for me that He will give me the strength to do anything that He calls me to do. All I need to do is just trust in Him.

3) Eric Clapton or Jimmy Page? Why?

I've spent a lot more time listening to Eric Clapton than Jimmy Page so I'm immediately biased towards Eric Clapton. I have tremendous admiration for his skills and thoroughly enjoy listening to him. As a guitar player myself, I'd love to be able to play just a fraction as well as either of those guys do.

4) What is the troublesome thing you ever did in high school? Was it your idea, or did you go along with someone else's plan?

When I was in high school I had just been saved and so I was still working through basic issues of discipleship in Christ. While I had accepted Jesus as my savior, I hadn't fully accepted Him as my Lord and so I was still living very much according to the world rather than according to His Word.

There is no one particular thing that stands out to me except that I was involved in some relationships in high school (and even more so in college and right after college) that on reflection I wished I hadn't been involved in. It's a tough time on teenagers because there is a cultural pressure to be involved in dating someone else. I think God has something far better for us than what our culture projects as normal and healthy and we have a responsibility as parents to see that our kids don't make the same mistakes that we made.

5) If giving up one of your five senses would do something miraculous for the good of the world, which sense would you give up?

This was a really tough question. I suppose it would be my sight. I guess the bigger question is whether sacrificing one of my senses for the good of the world is one I would be willing to make. If I felt that was what God required of me then I would be willing to accept that.

Thanks to The Anchoress for such thought provoking questions. Be sure to stop by her blog often.

Update: Tracey at Worship Naked correctly pointed out that I had violated proper blogger ettiquite by not offering to interview other bloggers who commented on this post. My apologies for not including that offer in the original post.

No comments: