Wednesday, March 09, 2005

My Interview with Stolen Thunder

D. J. Drummond, who has his own blog at Stolen Thunder and contributes over at Polipundit, responded to my last interview post and said he would like to be interviewed. We've given each other five questions to answer. My questions and his answers are here. Here are his questions to me with my answers.

1. People who are not religious often suggest that the Bible is a collection of myths and superstitious beliefs. What explanation has worked best in explaining the Bible's value to you?

People who dismiss the Bible as simply a collection of myths and superstitions haven't taken the time to read the entire Bible. The Bible encompasses many different types of literature: wisdom, poetry, prophecy, and history as well as the very practical epistles of the New Testament. I can point to specific passages and be able to say that they had a profound impact on my life and how I choose to live. That is the amazing power of the Bible: its ability to change lives.

2. What's wrong with the White Sox? (I ask this because Houston never gets more than one team of any kind, so we don't understand cross-town rivalries in pro sports - in fact, when Bud Adams [spit when I say that name ] took the Oilers out of the state, we were left to choose between cheering for [shudder] the Aints or [shudder] the Cowgirls).

Actually, I don't have anything against the White Sox (except when they play the Cubs). As a mentioned in this post, I became a Cubs fan before I moved to the Chicago area. If I hadn't already been a Cubs fan I would have had to make a choice between one or the other. Two things you can be absolutely sure of: (1) Chicagoans are either Cubs fans or White Sox fans and (2) you either read the Tribune or the Sun-Times.

By the way, my first Chicago baseball game was at U. S. Cellular Field (then called Comiskey Park). Wrigley Field is a far superior ballpark.

3. How big would you like your blog to become?

When I started blogging, I really didn't have any concept of traffic or any specific goals in mind regarding number of hits that I get each day. There are many bloggers who are much better writers than I am and their numbers reflect their superior talent.

I continue to be amazed by the wide variety of readers that my blog attracts (often for reasons that I don't understand). I'm thankful to have the traffic that I have but I try not to get too hung up on how large the traffic numbers are. I believe that if I ever start worrying about traffic then I'm going to be tempted to change what I say to appeal to a mass audience rather than simply follow God's leading to post things that he is impressing upon me.

4. Which is the coolest job from the guy perspective - Fireman, Policeman, Marine, or CFO?

I've always thought the coolest job was to be a Marine. I have tremendous admiration for those guys. It amazes me what they are capable of accomplishing. They are truly a rare breed of soldier and we are blessed to have them as a vital part of our national defense.

5. Politics and Religion often intersect - what is the right mix?

Politics and religion are not mutually exclusive. If a person's individual beliefs have any meaning at all then they should influence that person's political activity and political beliefs. For example, as a Christian, I believe that life is a precious gift given to us by God. As a result, that belief affects my political stances on issues such as abortion, euthanasia, and other issues regarding life.

Thanks to D. J. for the great questions!

If you would like to be interviewed, leave a comment on this post. I'll send you five questions to answer on your blog. Post the answers on your blog and I'll link to them here.

No comments: